Sunday, April 13, 2014

Trip Recap

I know I told you about our first few clubs, but I thought now that I know how to do it I'd send out a few pictures. Since I was so confused about the dates I think I'll try to clear that up. This club was on March 28 th in Veszto. These are the girls that greeted us. They were practicing their English with us that is how there were able to be out of school early. It was the girl on the left's birthday.


These are the ladies and the gentleman that quilted in addition to making us a traditional meal. On the right you can see Palma in the blue, Patricia in the orange and Pattie next to her. This was our ministry group, well me too of course.



They showed us many of the crafts they have done in the past and are trying to keep alive now. Can you see the rugs and purses on the wall? These were woven on the loom just under the purses. In the standing loom they used fabric strips instead of wool. The product was more like the braided rugs we have. On the table there are two plates of what appear to be pizzelles you know Italian waffle cookies, but these are savory. It was quite a surprise when we bit into one. They had caraway seeds in them and were salted. Good just not what we expected.



Can you see the bread on the table they were prepared in the wood burning oven you see on the wall. They were so good. In the adjacent room behind the oven door was the back side oven the oven it looked like a giant beehive. The wall was very warm almost hot and we are told that was how they would heat their living space.


Patricia and I thought the green color reminded us of the 50's here. It was a recurring color theme in each of the rooms. The build was long with about 6 rooms the first three were connected, but the others were only accessible from the out side. One was the pantry/wet kitchen the others were bath areas and a laundry area. Were told the one of the rooms off the kitchen was used as a sitting area as well as a guest area, but not often used for the family itself mostly entertaining. Very interesting. It reminded me of an Amish home I once toured.

No comments: