Sunday, May 6, 2012

a life changing day


This picture is of Zandi and two of her three children.  Some months ago her one of her sisters died and she became "little mother" to those two children.  It is part of the culture to take your relatives children if they are left orphaned.  Hmmmm.  Seems like there is something about that in the Bible : )

Zandi looked so nice today, so I told her I thought she looked to pretty.  I couldn't really put my finger on it- I thought that maybe it was that she was dressed up a bit.  But that wasn't it at all.

Anyway today was a life changing day for Zandi.   Her boyfriend was able to pay the labola, that is to say her bride price, now they can be married.  She was radiant as she told me about it.  "I am pretty today because my boyfriend paid the labola, We will now be able to be married."  I asked her If she would be married before I left,  "Oh no, but in October I will be engaged"  I can't really tell you what joy there was in her voice that finally she would be able to be married to the man she has shared much of her life with. It will take another year to save the money to be married.

I told you on the Easter blog that paying the bride price is still an important part of their lives here but I am amazed to see how it all works and how happy they are when at last they have the money to pay her father, even after all this time has passed.
We have been able to see two of the ladies set free to marry since we have been here.  And I love it.
So what about us?  Christ paid the bride price long ago for us and one day we will be caught up by him at the marriage feast.  Can you just imagine the sheer joy we will know when we are with Him.

No comments: